After medical school, Dr. Michael Kim worked for years in various conventional healthcare settings that made him worry about the growing negative influence insurance was having on patient care. As he became more disillusioned over time, he began looking for alternatives, which led him to the idea of direct primary care. After much investigation, he concluded the DPC practice model was a far more-satisfying way to practice medicine—providing financial sustainability and a positive work/life balance.
As a result, he opened a direct primary care clinic, Coachella Valley DPC, with his physician wife last year. After just 10 months and having started from scratch, their practice is already self-sustaining—even with a pandemic—having 70 members currently enrolled!
In this interview, Michael shares how he and his wife got their practice started and the specific initiatives that have helped them succeed. You’ll hear about the marketing, networking, pricing, and strategic business approaches that have worked best to quickly grow their practice.
More specifically, we discuss the following cash-based practice topics:
- Where they found the information and resources that helped them figure out how to build a direct primary care practice.
- The critical questions a DPC must ask in order to determine specifically how to structure a viable practice.
- How they added a service that enables them to get paid for interacting directly with their target audience.
- Why Michael believes flexibility is primarily responsible for several recent successes for the practice.
- The pricing membership model that enables them to deliver the best patient experience for the long term.
- How they’ve used Facebook Live to generate a lot of buzz for the practice.
- Ideas for incorporating branding in your marketing efforts to enhance brand awareness.
- How to easily create a lead magnet that can help build your marketing list.
- Why getting great results for your patients is not enough to build a successful practice.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Mastermind coaching group
Interested in the cash-based private practice model?