If you can’t find your dream job, create it! After receiving her PT degree, Kelsey Baas found rewarding work in the specialties of developmental pediatrics and orthopedics in a Houston hospital, and saw the importance of multiple disciplinary teams in providing the best care. But personally, she and her husband wanted to move back to Waco. Since Waco offered no opportunities for her to work in a way that integrated the specialties she’d come to appreciate so much, she decided to create her own multidisciplinary cash-based practice.
Soon after, she opened Compleo Physical Therapy & Wellness, a one-stop-shop that can take care of the whole family to keep everyone healthy and active. Initially offering physical therapy, counseling, and a dietician; the practice has grown and recently added pilates and personal trainer… in just 2 short years!
In this interview, Kelsey shares what has worked as well as the important adjustments she’s made along the way to make this novel approach to healthcare work in a small-town environment. She explains why she went from fully cash-based to the current hybrid model that accepts insurance from a single carrier and when this same model may be the best fit for others listening in… And she shares what she’s learned about managing employees and marketing that has allowed her to grow her practice while maintaining a high quality of life.
More specifically, we discuss these cash-based practice topics:
- Why her comprehensive approach to care led to a transition from being a 100% cash-pay practice to one that also accepts a single insurance.
- How you can educate your community on the potential for in-network care to cost more than out-of-network once deductibles are considered.
- Using sublease arrangements with other practitioners to offer patients the convenience of more-complete healthcare in a single location… without the complications that come with hiring additional employees.
- What compensation arrangements have worked well to keep employees motivated and happy, while profitable for a cash-based practice.
- Keeping a patient’s needs in mind to limit options so they don’t get too overwhelmed to decide on a private-pay treatment plan.
- What marketing efforts have worked best to reach her target cash-pay market in a small town.
- How to market your services successfully when your target market / niche is somewhat broad.
- How to get your foot in the door to secure good speaking opportunities among groups with audiences that have your target market.
- How to use social media to reach new prospects, promote speaking events, and eventually convert prospects into paying customers.
- What types of social media content are most likely to generate initial leads and prospective patients for a cash-based practice
- How adding a dedicated marketing staff member to her private practice has helped rapidly grow cash-pay revenues.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Facebook: Compleo Physical Therapy & Wellness
- Compleo Youtube channel
- Compleo Physical Therapy & Wellness website
- Jane App
Interested in the cash-based private practice model?
Let us know if you enjoyed the show:
[Click to Tweet] Thanks Kelsey Baas @compleowaco for all the online and in-person marketing tips on the Cash-Based Practice Podcast w/ @drjarodcarter ! (https://drjarodcarter.com/90) #cashPT