Sturdy McKee took a booming 3-clinic in-network practice and successfully transitioned completely out-of-network without missing a beat. In this episode, Sturdy shares the patient communication strategy he used each time he dropped a provider, asks a thought provoking question about why patients would choose to go out-of-network, and gives examples of where cash-based practices have to excel to win patients (and it isn’t just getting people better).
Sturdy and I also discuss how developing his business acumen kept his practice alive early on and allowed it to thrive as it grew. He shares the courses, coaches, and books he has utilized on his way to becoming a business consultant. If you like the advice and resources Sturdy gives during the show today, be sure to check out his online course on Recruiting and Hiring A-Players.
More specifically, we discuss:
- The Scale of Delightedness and how to take your patients beyond ‘satisfied’ to delighted
- Sturdy’s strategy for communicating with patients prior to dropping an insurer
- Entrepreneurial tantrums and why independence requires cooperation
- The to-do list prioritization strategy used by Warren Buffet
- Why the biggest names in business all focus on routine
- Courses and coaches Sturdy has utilized on his path to becoming a coach himself
- The struggles Sturdy faced in his early days private practice
- The absolutely REQUIRED mindset for physical therapist transitioning out-of-network
- An awesome thought exercise the explores why potential patients choose cash-based
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- List of Business Resources compiled by Sturdy McKee. Many were mentioned in the podcast episode.
- How to Recruit and Hire A-Players, online course by Sturdy McKee
- Sturdy’s Business Coaching
- “Scaling Up” by Verne Harnish
- “The E-Myth” by Michael Gerber
- Simpleology, Sturdy’s first business course
- Rich Dad Education, another course Sturdy took early on
- Results.com, Stephen Lynch’s business consulting group
Interested in the cash-based private practice model?
Let us know if you enjoyed the show:
[Click to Tweet] Thanks @Sturdy McKee for sharing the strategies you used to maintain patient volume while transitioning OON on the Cash-Based Practice Podcast w/ @drjarodcarter ! https://bit.ly/2KhLW11 #cashPT