This interview was done in-person with “direct primary care” physician Michael Garrett, MD who has a private medical practice just down the road from my PT clinic in Austin Texas. He is part of the “direct primary care” movement in which patients pay a monthly fee for unlimited access to his services.
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- How I (Jarod) educate my physician referral sources on how to speak with patients about my services, the fact that Carter Physiotherapy is not in-network with insurances, and how this can actually be cheaper for them in some cases.
- How he started his direct-pay medical practice while still working multiple shifts per week in an ER.
- Why he wanted to avoid the insurance-based practice model.
- How he is able to operate large amounts of his patient interactions digitally without the patient always having to come see him at the clinic.
- Why many patients prefer secure texting versus video conferencing for remote/tele-evaluations.
- The variety of terms used synonymously with cash-based practice.
- The differences between “direct primary care” and a “concierge” medical practice.
- How he sets his Direct Primary Care fees and saves his patients money.
- Why he really doesn’t see many people over-utilize his services even though the monthly fee includes unlimited visits
- What a “sharing ministry” insurance plan is, and why it has become more popular since the inception of the Affordable Care Act.
- How he is choosing the total number of patients he plans to accept.
- His guarantee to see patients within 1 day of calling for an appointment.
- The different ways he markets his practice and a brilliant (and free) way that certain Facebook groups have produced direct-pay patients for him.
Resources and Links mentioned in this episode:
- Paul Gough’s Business Growth School
- Atlas MD
- Direct Primary Care Frontier
- Direct MD Austin
- Direct MD Austin Twitter
Let us know if you enjoyed the show:
[Click to Tweet] Thank you @directmdaustin for being an awesome guest on the Cash-Based Practice Podcast w/ @DrJarodCarter